Amazing video installation at Kunsthal Charlottenborg!












'Servitudes' by Jesper Just 2019

I recently encountered the first contemporary video artist, who made a piece that blew my mind away! Danish artist Jesper Just (b. 1974) has created a video installation that my body will remember for a very long time. It is poetic, beautiful and a little uncomfortable at the same time. It has made an imprint on my body and mind which is only possible when I experience the best total installations.  


When I first stepped into the piece, the metal construction made me feel like a cow approaching its end state (slaughter). Not able to return to the entrance, the piece forced me to experience it. The atmosphere, changing light flicker and the sound of my feet when stepping on the metal, made me feel somehow uncomfortable and insecure. What was going to happen? 

The piece consist of several video projections spread around in separated rooms and projected in unusual places: on the sealing, floor and in the room on see-through Plexiglas. They are all 'communicating' and interacting with the cold metal construction that the viewer walks upon. The construction divides and connect viewer, space and videos.



Your gaze and attention constantly shift while you move through the installation. The videos shows 2 women, a girl that plays the piano (the sound is present in all rooms)and different architecture that appears almost abstract hence it plays with light, changing color and crooked film angles. 


The girl with the robot hands eating a corncob stands out. She is flirting with the spectator and meets our gaze in a sensual way, but this act is interrupted by the awkwardness of her mechanic robot hands.

The colors and picture still is mesmerizing and it opens up for questions about human conditions, intimacy and modern technology.


The actors added a sense of mystery and drama - what were they thinking? They appeared vulnerable and fragile, which made me feel the same. I wanted to look but it was like my gaze on them or their gaze on me was invading. I felt like hiding behind the walls -  between the light and sound of piano play. The only critic I has, is the subtitle in the film above. It brought me a little bit out of this world the scenery and videos had created. 
   
       
I walked through emotional and psychological rooms that changed my view on video art. Suddenly I could feel the screens on my body and step into them physically, instead of what one normally do with video: only gaining access to the flat screen through our imagination.
It became an amazing experience that activated my senses and body - and with those elements it activated my reflection process and recalled memories I thought I had forgotten.  



   
This piece have opened my eyes! And maybe my next piece can be a film installation!
I can only recommend you to experience this wonderful piece of art and let me know what you think!
The exhibition will last until d. 11. of August 2019!

Yours, 
Anne Gammelgaard 

Event: guided tour + catalogue launch:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2348709372073088/

All photographs in this post are taken by: David Stjernholm.  

Read more at: 

Comments